Friday 30 April 2010

Alcohol.

Alcohol is a word most people know whether they drink it or not. People tend to drink alcohol to wind down, due to an addiction, need to get drunk, depression or any other reason they may have. One issue drinking raises is binge drinking. Binge drinking is consuming more then a persons recommended unit and can have consequences some more serious then others. Some consequences include vomiting, hang-overs, alcohol poisoning, e.t.c. Alcohol can be brought in any licensed shop,pub or club by a person over 18. The following link is a BBC News article that discusses binge drinking and in particular it's cost which is around £20 billion a year: http://news.bbc.co.uk/1/hi/health/3121440.stm. So what attracts people to drinking? I think that it is to do with the culture we live in as binge drinking is not only accepted but it is almost expected especially when in clubs. I also think people are attracted to drinking alcohol because it can help loosen people up and bring out peoples 'fun' side. However, not all of the population drinks due to personal or religious reasons so clearly not everyone agrees with drinking. Those who approve of drinking would suggest that it helps people relax and also that there isn't anything wrong with enjoying yourself. Those who disagree with it would argue that it causes noise, poisoning, violence and other negative consequences. The following are issues that are raised by alcohol:
  1. At what point does binge drinking become serious?
  2. Is it right to let a person under 18 to consume alcohol?
  3. Who is responsible for underage drinking?

The following is a picture of alcohol:



I think ,as with most things, that alcohol is a person choice and if a person choices to drink then it's their choice. I also think that if they do choose to drink that there is nothing wrong with as long as it isn't constant drinking. For more information on bing drinking you can check out http://kidshealth.org/teen/drug_alcohol/alcohol/binge_drink.html.

1 comment:

  1. An interesting read. I'd like to attempt to give my brief opinion on the three questions that you have posed here.

    1. I believe that binge drinking becomes serious when you find yourself craving alcohol on a regular basis, and becoming very drug regularly. Although going out on a weekend is binge drinking, I see no real problem with this, as most people do it.

    2. I have split views on this. When I was under 18, I used to go clubbing and thought it was great. So in one respect I think that it is okay, as long as the person is over 16 and is responsible and mature. But now I am 19, there is nothing worse than going into a club that is full of 'children' as me and my friends call them when there’s a flux of obviously underage people.

    3. This is a question that is not answerable in most cases. Although sometimes parents can be blamed, as can their friends, overall most people have a mind of their own, and should control themselves.


    Thanks for the interesting read, and those are my answers, although brief.

    ReplyDelete